5.31 (extra credit)

methodology: how did you keep track of your observations during the day you attempted to live without the technology?

I recorded a day living in the style of 1900 with pen and notebook. In the morning, I almost arrived late for class because I turned off my phone last night. The phone alarm didn't ring, and I didn't have a wind-up alarm clock. Then I went to class. Since I couldn't use a tablet, I had to take notes with paper and pen. I couldn't mark on the PPT slides and couldn't use translation software, which caused me trouble. Encountering unfamiliar words and sentences, I couldn't quickly translate them. Since I'm used to using translation software, I didn't have a dictionary at home to look up unfamiliar words. I could only guess their meanings.

At noon, since the induction cooker, microwave, and rice cooker at home are all post-1900 inventions, I couldn't cook or heat food. I also couldn't eat at restaurant that uses ordering machines. Instant noodles were also invented after 1900, so I could only buy a sandwich at a convenience store.

In the afternoon, after finishing my classes and returning home, I felt very quiet and bored without being able to use my phone, computer, or tablet, and without watching TV. Although electric lights were invented before 1900, the lights in my house are LED, which weren't available back then. After some hesitation, I chose not to turn on the lights. I visited several stores before finding matches and candles for lighting, but the light was too dim. My eyes felt strained reading by candlelight, so I decided to go to bed early. Fortunately, the earliest electric kettle was invented in 1891. Although it was different from modern kettles, it was still barely usable. I mixed cold water with boiling water in a basin to wash myself, which was very inconvenient. I couldn't use shampoo or a hairdryer, so my hair wasn't clean, and I had to let it air dry. At night, without air conditioning, it was quite hot in the house. I was also not used to going to bed so early without looking at my phone, so I couldn't fall asleep. During the day, since I could only use cash, the shopkeeper gave me a lot of coins as change. My wallet was designed to hold cards, not coins, so they kept rolling everywhere. I had to put the coins in my pocket. They were heavy and kept jingling.

2. description: which technologies were you able to do without? Which, you couldn’t?

In this experience, I realized that no technology can be dispensed with; every piece of technology, whether big or small, plays a crucial role in our daily lives, greatly facilitating every aspect of our existence. Modern technological devices are deeply embedded in our daily routines, enhancing our quality of life and efficiency. Abandoning these devices would make daily life cumbersome and difficult, affecting our efficiency, comfort, and overall quality of life.

One piece of technology that I absolutely cannot do without is the smartphone. During this day without a smartphone, I missed out on many things. I missed notifications and assignments from my professor, group project tasks assigned by the team leader, and important emails from the school. I couldn't see messages from friends, leaving me isolated and disconnected from everything. In modern society, smartphones have become almost indispensable. Even class attendance requires a smartphone to input an electronic attendance code. Therefore, I believe the one piece of technology I cannot live without is the smartphone.

3.analysis: how are our lives different from those in the 19th century? Could we live without our technology? How does it influence our lives?

Our lives are significantly different from those in the 19th century, primarily due to the widespread application of technology. Modern society relies on technologies such as smartphones, the internet, and household appliances, which greatly enhance our efficiency, convenience, and comfort. Without these technologies, our lives would become more cumbersome and time-consuming. For instance, communication would depend on letters and face-to-face interaction, daily chores would require more physical effort and time, and information retrieval would be slower and more limited. However, although life without modern technology could continue, our work, education, healthcare, entertainment, and social interactions would undergo significant changes, resulting in a substantial decrease in overall quality of life and efficiency. Technological advancements not only alter our way of life but also profoundly influence our social structure and interaction patterns, enabling us to accomplish more in less time and maintain close connections globally.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to our blog

Using Goffman's Theory to Analyze Pleasantville

week 2 classroom questions